Tuesday, September 17, 2013

my first unofficial patient!


bismillah, assalamualaikum! 

Today was a medical fairytale!! I finally had my very first hands-on with reallll patients as a medical student. Well, I have experienced with cadavers last term but this time was with a living person!! (with illness of course)

NUI Galway has a special module programme called Early Patient Contact, EPC which aims to expose students to real clinical experiences with patients, ie communication skills, clinical skills, simple physical examinations on Vital Signs etc. It is basically a programme to train students to talk to patients in proper and confident way - yes, more to history-taking than diagnosis because we're only in second med.

So this was the excited me this morning! haha. Serius terlompat-lompat before session, well, pardon my adrenaline hehehehehehe.


Our patient, Mr V, is an incredibly helpful person. He talked non-stop for an hour I think, explaining everything without us even asking in details. Irish are generally gentlemen pun kan. Some of our questions were silly but he just answered anyways. 

I enjoyed this very first experience up until the moment I got lost in the middle of conversation, haha. Since he explained so much, I got confused and I panicked for some time during the interview. My group mates seem to understand everything; medical terms like drugs and diseases name etc while I went blur all by myself, adoiii.

Then I realised that I actually becoming to enjoy it more because that was the exact time that the whole situation suddenly look extra challenging and enormously interesting and very drama-like la jugak, hahaha. Ada fefeeling Dr House gituuuu. 

and later after I was reminded that this is still yet a fairytale and I barely becoming a good medical student at the moment. It was inspirational, it truly was. But I do not, at all, want it to be merely a dream. I want it to be a reality when I wake up one day. 





thus, I should not oversleep anymore and study more instead :P


"Allah changeth not the condition of a folk until they (first) change that which is in their hearts; and if Allah willeth misfortune for a folk there is none that can repel it, nor have they a defender beside Him." [ar Ra'du:11]


wassalam! (still excited padahal early report tak siap lagi hehehehe)

2 comments: